Saturday, February 18, 2012

God's Message to the World Through Whitney's Home Going


As I sat and watched Whitney's home going, I felt the Lord's presence in this place, in my home. I felt her presence in my home as well. Whitney was there at the start of my musical career, not as a singer, but for me through the start of my musicianship. One of the very first songs I learned to play by memory on my flute was Whitney's "I'm Every Woman" in the 7th grade, yet playing at a high school level at Northwest High School in Opelousas, LA. As I got older, I grew with Whitney. I matured with her music.

I thank BET Networks for giving us, her fans, the platform to be there with family and friends at New Hope Baptist Church for the home going of Whitney Houston and a home going it was, as well as a home coming in Newark, NJ. Everyone who spoke was so sincere. Tyler Perry and BeBe Winans touched my soul. T.D. Jakes message that love is stronger than death, love will last forever, for God is love, touched my soul. Kim Burrell and Kevin Costner, all I can say is, WOW. Kevin mentioned how the song "I Will Always Love You" wasn't originally supposed to be in the movie. He shared fond memories of sharing stories of how much he and Whitney grew up in the church. Alicia Key's performance was just solemn. I felt as though the church froze in time for the duration of her singing and playing of the piano.

As I'm watching the service, in the back of my mind, I'm knowing at some point it's going to end, but I just didn't want it to. As Clive Davis stepped to the podium to speak, all I could see was Whitney's career and success flash before my eyes. He said, "You wait for a voice, smile, presence and face like Whitney's for a lifetime and in 1983 I found it in Whitney." During the last time they met during Grammy weekend only last week, Whitney told Clive that she was getting fit and she would be ready by August to make a come back again. In Clive's closing remarks, he said that he was still holding her to her word. He said that God gave us an angel.

I don't know where you were when you watched Whitney's funeral services, but where I am, it's been pouring down raining all day, almost flooding in some areas. Stevie Wonder said something that was so profound before he performed. He said that he just wanted to thank God for being in life during the same time as Whitney. In his "Ribbon in the Sky" tribute, which he re-wrote hours befor the occasion, he said "what God gives is not a coincidence." He said that no more does Whitney have to cry. He said Whitney will always be our "angel in the sky, an angel of God's choir of love."

I believe America and the entire world tuned into the home going of Whitney Houston this afternoon. She was a member of our families in our heads, as Wendy Williams would say it as she remembered Whitney on her show. As I sat and watched, I shed tears. Not tears of sorrow, but I shed tears of joy because I'm so thankful to God that he so shared his angel with us. I'm happy for Whitney, because now she will truly sing for the Lord. This service reminded me of my great love for God, I'm so at peace.

In Dionne Warwick's closing remarks, she stated "Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free. I took his hand when he called. I turned my back and left it all.. If my parting has left a void, then fill it with remembered joy." I thought that was so powerful. At the end of CiCi Williams' performance, she ended it singing "Yes, Jesus loves me" and asked for the entire world to sing along with her. The Winans Brothers sang "Tomorrow" and within that message, "Who promissed you tomorrow, you better choose the Lord today." That was a very powerful moment as well.

Pastor Marvin Winans, led the church in service. He opened the message with "May the people be blessed by the Lord, and never impressed by me." I must say, Miss Houston just brought the ENTIRE world to church this day, February 18th at 12pm EST. I thank her mother for having her funeral services at New Hope Baptist Church and allowing networks to come in and share this moment with Whitney's beloved ,as myself. Pastor Winans preached from the book of Matthews, Chapter 6, beginning with verses 19-21. "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and decay destroys, and thieves break in and steal. But store up treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor decay destroy, nor theives break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be."

Whitney brought God's WORD to the world today, believe it or not. Pastor Winans also taught from Matthew 6:33. All who love the Lord, know this scripture, "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, then all these things shall be added"...

Which brings me to my point. As I listened to this man preach and thought about my own experiences in this world, not just the music business, and other experiencs from close friends and family, God put it on my heart to share this message. Whitney's passing to her eternal spiritual home left us with a message from God through her home going service. I believe God works in mysterious ways. He took back his angel, maybe because He knew the world would tune in. Her mother held her funeral service at a word based church, New Hope Baptist Church and God spoke through Pastor Winans and through others to us today. The coming of Jesus Christ is near. This world has definitely lost its way, and we need to get back to THE Number 1 Priority, God. If you want to see successes as Whitney did, seek ye first the Kingdom, and ALL these things shall be added to you. Don't be sad this day, as Whitney returns to her heavenly Father, rejoice and be glad because we will see her again. But LISTEN and adhere to the message God has bestowed onto the world this day.

I'm done.

Whitney, I will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment